Badges at Bat, Swingin for Stiles | Community Spirit
The following is a press release from the City of Petal:
City of Petal Employees are organizing a softball tournament to benefit the family of Lt. Deputy Tony Stiles, who was critically injured in a recent hostage situation in Jones County. Lt. Stiles' family are faced with expenses involving travel, lodging, food, etc., while he is hospitalized in Birmingham, AL. The money raised will be deposited into an account at Community Bank for the family.
The "Badges at Bat, Swingin for Stiles" Tournament will be held on August 18 at 8 a.m. at the Robert E. Russell Sports Complex on Hillcrest Loop in Petal. This will be a coed tournament with a $125 entry fee.
We will be selling concessions, t-shirts and accepting donations. We encourage anyone who wants to participate to join us to show support and thank a hero, Lt. Deputy Tony Stiles.
1. Roster must be turned in by game time. Place as many names on the roster as you like, however only fifteen (15) shirts will be awarded to the tournament champions. Each team must provide their own umpire.
2. USSSA rules will be in effect in addition to local park rules.
3. Teams must furnish their own balls. A legal ball must be a “CLASSIC M” and USSSA must be factory printed on the ball.
4. There is a limit of five (5) over the fence home runs. Any after that will be an out.
5. Teams will flip a coin for home team. The time will start immediately following the coin toss. Home team is the official score keeper.
6. Each game will have a fifty- five (55) minute time limit. If there is any time left, a new inning will start when the last out is made. There will be a five (5) minute grace period, if needed, to allow for a team to get its minimum nine (9) players to start the game. If the Home team is behind, they will have a chance at bat.
7. Ten Run Rule is in effect. If a team is ten (10) or more runs ahead after 5 innings, or 4 ½ innings if the home team is ahead, the game will be called.
8. Mercy Rule is in effect. If a team is ahead by 15 runs after three (3) complete innings, the game will be called.
9. Time limit and run rules remain the same through the tournament.
10. STEEL CLEATS ARE NOT ALLOWED!!!
11. Teams will be allowed to start and end a game with a minimum of nine (9) players. There must be at least four (4) females. An out will be assessed when a team is playing with a shorthanded roster and cannot field an equal number of males and female players.
12. Both coaches/ teams must agree to allow a team to pick up players.
13. Courtesy runner may be used at the opposing coach’s discretion. Courtesy runners will be the last outs.
14. As long as a player is on the roster, he can play with his team. There is no limit to how many games he must play.
15. NO TOBACCO PRODUCTS OR ALCOHOL ALLOWED IN DUGOUTS, ON FIELD OR OUTSIDE THE FIELD AREA!
16. T-shirts will be awarded to the first place teams at the end of the tournament. Trophies will be awarded to the second and third place winners.
17. The tournament will be a double elimination tournament.
18. Brackets will be provided. Teams will be notified on August 17 with playtimes.